Saturday, January 15, 2005

I'm "Just the Bass Player"

I play the bass. Actually, several of them, just not at
the same time. "Why do you need more than one???"
...ah, the question I just don't understand. They sell
pencils in packs of 10, and nobody questions that.
You only use ONE at a time, right?

When I was in high school, I remember the aspiring
guitar players always telling me, "Bass is easier because
it only has FOUR strings, man - guitars have SIX..."

(Wow . . . so Yehudi Menuhin had nothing on that guy
from The White Stripes . . . I see how it works!)

Well, during the past 20 years, musical instrument manufacturers
decided to make the bass more attractive to these people.
Why miss out on their expendable cash?
Suddenly, everywhere you looked, basses were sprouting
extra strings: 5.....then 6.....then 7.....where would it end?
The highest number I saw was 9. Actually, there was a
12-string bass, but it was just a 4-string with two octave
strings beside each primary string. Not the same idea.

Over the years, I dutifully purchased a 5-string, then a
couple of 6-string basses. I quickly figured out that the
only purpose of a 6 was to play solos like a guitar player.
And, maybe I'm nuts, but I HATE BASS SOLOS ! I've
heard maybe two in my entire life that I thought were
interesting (one by Ron Carter, one by Amin Ali).
I figure my job is to lay down the bottom so the people
with the high, squeally instruments can play solos.

People LOVE high, squeally notes. No one knows why,
but it's true. Ask your local dog.

Many times, I've been brushed aside by horn players
who figure I'm "Just the bass player". This would be
fine if my name was Justin, but since it isn't, what authority
could I have?

Real life correlation: No one appreciates a good bottom end
until it's not there! (Sorry, I had to go there)

The first time I brought a 6 into my guitar repair shop,
the repairman (an excellent bass player himself) said,
"You didn't ..... WHY??? What do you expect to do
with that?"

Turns out the repair guy was right. I've been trying to sell them off
for about a year and I'm still stuck with one. I NEVER
play it on gigs. And now that the raincoat has popped
open on the extended-range trend, I can't find a buyer.

So maybe there's a bit of hope for rhythm sections - but
I could use the extra cash from the sale . . . heating oil
warms the house longer than burning basses!

3 Comments:

Blogger Last Girl On Earth said...

Oh, Mr L, do I EVER know what you are talking about here! I've got so many violins that everytime you open a closet do, another case falls on you! Do I NEED all of these violins. HELL NO! I DID get rid of the 6 string piece of shit that sounded like a tug boat. But each and every one of the others has "sentimental value." Great blog. I'll be back!

12:36 AM  
Blogger Nuggets said...

To be fair, I must purchase pencils in packs of ten because I usually misplace one within minutes of sharpening. Somehow I doubt you lose your bass within minutes of tuning. But maybe I'm wrong.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

[The older I get, the more likely it is to happen!!]

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home