Saturday, May 19, 2007

"Fuzzy Math"

The other day, I saw a news story about gas prices.

"The public is unhappy that gas prices have risen
85% over the last five years," the "reporter" said.

Hmm....well, I can't verify their sources (but I suspect
they work at the White House). There is a picture
in one of my earlier posts that shows a local gas
station that went out of business in the spring of
2001. The price on the sign (still up there even
today) for a price of a gallon of regular gas is
$1.08.

My math skills - which I'm certain are less "creative"
than the government's or the news agencies' who
seem to be in the government's employ - tell me
that in the last SIX years gas prices have increased
178%, based on the $3 per gallon regular gas on
sale in my area today.

["Facts are funny things." -- Ronald Reagan]

1 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

There are days when i get 65 MPG but I average about 49 most of the time. Still, that's a lot of money!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home