Tuesday, April 17, 2007

That's Horrid! - A Return to Form?

As anyone who stops by here surely knows, my output
has been spotty lately. I just wasn't "feeling it". But
there could be hope.

Yesterday, as I read about the shootings at Virginia
Tech, I IM'ed Mrs. L:

"Check this out, from the 'net:

'Today the university was struck with a tragedy that
we consider of monumental proportions,' said Charles
Steger, president of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and
State University in Blacksburg, in southwest
Virginia. 'The university is shocked and indeed horrified.'

[then I commented]

'Since we're in the middle of all this crap with our local
school, I think I know what that guy means!! 30 students
killed, at $9,887.50 per semester ($19775 per year)
comes out to $593,250 that the school loses out on. I'm
sure THAT'S what they consider the true tragedy!' "

Mrs. L responded: "That's horrid!!"

Maybe so. But, I've learned - especially this year with
Master L's school - that educators ultimately seem more
like accountants.

We already KNEW I was cynical.

Plus, this probably means I'm feeling slightly better
these days. And isn't that what really counts?

5 Comments:

Blogger hellomelissa said...

as soon as i saw the first tidbit about this i refused to listen to any more. yes, we know it's a horrible tragedy and all, but do we really want to hear it analyzed by every armchair newscaster in the world? i think the anna nicole thing got me really down on news media.

i'll just sit here with a bag over my head, thanks.

and the university being bummed about missing out on tuition... hey, it's almost the end of the term, and i'm sure that tuition is nonrefundable. they've made their money for the year, and they don't have to teach those students now. they can just pump up transfers and incoming freshmen to cover their numbers.

see? someone else is almost as cynical as you!

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Well, good for me (I know I'm not alone), but I suppose some would say, bad for society!! LOL!

I hadn't thought of the term being over. I wonder if the first question the school asked was, "How many were freshmen?"....well, right after they wondered if their cars were OK.

As for the national news media, I've been down on them since they rolled over and played dead about seven years ago!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

damn, that is cynical! I'm impressed. ;)

4:54 PM  
Blogger Pisser said...

Not to mention they won't be giving to the alumni fund :(
I know, it's too soon.

I thought worse things...like, hey, less people = less population pressure, more polar bears! And, oh boy. You know some jackhole is going to have to comment that the shooter was a "damn forrner" and if we didn't have such open borders, this never would have happened. Blah blah yuckkity blah.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can;t watch THE TV! It's too depressing.

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home