Tuesday, February 13, 2007

5 Degrees

No, I'm not talking about how many acquaintances I'd have to
go through to be associated with a famous celebrity. . . I'm talking
about my hatred for winter here in the northeast!

After the traditional "howling dog awakening" at 6:03 this morning,
I decided that it "sounded" cold outside. (Is this something exclusive
to me, or does anyone else hear the temperature???)

I decided to turn on the television and find out just how bad it was
outside. Here's what I got: "5°F, 41% humidity."

Fabulous! Just great. . .

I started to think about my day - one car is in the shop getting a brake
job (but it's not ready), and the other car in the driveway needs to
have its windshield replaced today at 11 a.m., but not at the same
place. The first car is only around the corner, but the other shop is,
well. . . I don't even know yet. Somewhere near a coffee shop, I
hope!

And I can't find my gloves anywhere. I think they're in one of the
cars.

Anyway, all of these repairs are due to the fact that my birthday is
this month. That's when your car registrations renew here. So, of
course, that's when everything goes wrong with your cars! The
cracked windshield didn't happen until last week. The brakes. . .
well, they pull the wheels off your car as part of the inspection
process, so you can't skate on that. Hey, who needs brakes?
Double up on my accelerator power, I say!

So, let's see. . .where was I? At 7 a.m. I attempted to rouse Master
L from bed. His response was a casual "EH!" accompanied by a
dismissive wave of his hand. Can't say I blame him, but still.
It took another forty minutes before His Majesty arose and
commanded "Cereal!" before nestling under more blankets on
the couch.

We're off to a fine start.

2 Comments:

Blogger hellomelissa said...

that registration law BLOWS! happy f***ing birthday! anyhow, 5 degrees is why we chose NOT to settle in michigan or anywhere else it's THAT cold THAT much of the time. i sympathize, mr. l.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

In Florida we have no auto inspections. I guess the auto repair shop lobby isn't strong enough. The developers rule here. Five degrees? Things and people can live in five degrees? That's colder than my freezer. The flip side of global warming is, after all, weird temperature inversions. I hope your birthday goes better than the first part of this month!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home