Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cram It!

No, this is not a political rant....

I got a call to fill in for the bass player of a Meters cover
band. I have about a week and a half to learn all their
material. There will be only one rehearsal to go over
the arrangements. So for the foreseeable future, if
you're anywhere near me you'll hear the Meters
in the background.

It's not as scary as it could be - I love the Meters and
I'm familiar with most of their material....I just haven't
ever sat down to learn about 99% of it. Well, no more.
I'm stuffing my head with it even now.

The gig is at a place that claims it is a "first-class establishment"
though from the pay you wouldn't know it. Oh, well, sometimes
you've got to just do something because it's fun. Like
learn the bass parts for 30 songs in a week and a half.
No charts, no net....just go for it. Woo hoo!

Speaking of cramming it (in a different sense), I had my
home oil burner cleaned the other day. The maintenance
guy was complaining that all the warm weather here in
the northeast was "killing the business" (boo hoo, waah,
cram it, pal!!). The guy made a soot-and-oil mess of my
basement floor ("It couldn't be helped", he claimed), so
today *I* had to mop it all up. Who knew Dawn dish liquid
was so good at getting up oil? Is this the stuff they use
on Alaskan birds after the drunken tanker captains are
through with them?

What else got crammed this week? Let's see....oh yeah,
a new kitchen vent, into the side of the house.
We've only needed one for five years but this year the
birds REALLY tore the old one out of the house, so it
had to be done. I bought a style that has no
place for the little bastards to land. Take that, you
avian vandals!! "Tweet tweet", my ass.

What else is going on.....Celtics game tonight, music
photo shoot tomorrow (though I try to tell them that
my image won't help sell anything!), acoustic duo
gig on Saturday. Nothing much to cram there,
so I guess I've exhausted the topic.

Later.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Glad you're staying busy. Avian Vandals! What a hoot. I recently agreed to learn the material of a semi well know singer songwriter who wanted to have me play for her at one of my gigs. She was coming to visit her parents. Then she told me her folks were taking her to Disney that night instead so never mind. I was actually relieved. I'm not a quick study.

8:47 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

glad to see you transgressing again.

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home