Saturday, March 12, 2005

Revenge of the Gig Barometer!

About a week ago, while we were in the middle of a big
snowstorm, my brother called me. He asked, "So where's
your gig tonight?"

I said, "No gig. I'll just be shoveling snow all night."

He said, "No gig?! But there's a blizzard! You've gotta have a
gig! That's just not right . . ."

He speaks from experience: as all musicians know, if you've got
a gig, it's probably going to rain. Or snow. Or maybe there'll be
a plague of locusts - anything to a) make getting to the gig difficult,
and b) keep patrons away!

I call this the Gig Barometer. It's WAY more accurate than all the
computers the TV weathermen use. I usually know when
precipitation is coming months in advance! I've often fantasized
about getting a job as a weather forecaster by sending a few
networks a complete rain/snow chart that simply utilizes the
gigs on my calendar. After six months of pin-point accuracy, they'd
be having a bidding war for me, wouldn't they?

But - NO - last week there was no gig. Only snow. The GB had
failed. All these years . . . so dependable . . . could it be over?

BUT - today, my son had a school event/play. HIS gig! And it started
snowing at 9 in the morning. I had to shovel a few times before we
got out, then we came home during a break. I had to shovel to
get IN! And then back out. And then back in again later.
Best of all, we had left one car at the "venue" (school), and I
had to bring the shovel with me to make sure we could get THAT
one out.

How could I have doubted? My faith has been restored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home