Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Gas Tank Chicken

One of the charming games my wife likes to play
with (I should say "on") me is Gas Tank Chicken.

Somehow, every time she uses a car, she manages
to get it home with just enough gas left in the tank
to make it to a gas station....maybe. I don't know
how she does it. She has no fear of "E".

I suppose it's not such a stretch these days that she
doesn't put gas in the car - when I went to the store
this morning (and, of course, to the gas station or
I wouldn't have made it home), the price for regular
gas had gone up again. It's now averaging $2.60
around our area.

There was a gas station about a mile away that went
out of business in the spring of 2001. Although the
building has been vacant since, the prices are
still posted on the sign: $1.08 for regular.

Hey, that's only a 240% increase. Can't wait to see
what home-heating oil will cost this winter.

I assume this winter will drive lots more people
into poverty. But that's been taken care of: you
are, by law, no longer allowed to be poor. Pay
up, pal.

We'll be a third-world nation yet. But hey, some of
those are pretty nice, right? If we could have the
warm climate, well....oh....right....they're working on
that, too.

It's funny how there's no money for any public projects
unless they involve using up lots of oil. Pave, pave,
pave. There was no funding for it for years. But now
it's everywhere. Too bad my father retired. He was
a paving contractor. He could have cashed in.
Who knows? Maybe they even offer extra incentives
for spills...

Time to go do some bodywork on the car, so the water
will stay out. I don't need any extra drag affecting the
mileage of that wondrous American-made machine from
1987. Of course, I know who'll be filling the tank.

2 Comments:

Blogger Her Daddy's Eyes said...

My husband isn't afraid of the "E" either. I, however, am because I have been stuck in the middle of the road a mile from the next gas station because I ran out of gas. They'll learn on of these days!
And gas prices stuck...I told my 18 year old sister about prices being $.96 when I started driving. She couldn't believe it.

~Eyes

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading a story (it was a long time ago, though) about someone filling their car's tank for four cents...in Saudi Arabia...
wonder how much it is now?

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home