Thursday, September 13, 2007

Projects 'n' Whatever

During the summer, someone visiting the house
commented that I have so many CDs I could never
listen to all of them. The nerve. Gauntlet
thrown, I decided on a plan. I'd start at the beginning
of the racks, and each time I would be going out to
drive I'd take the next one or two (or ten, depending
on the length of the trip). Ha! I'll show 'em.

About a month in now, and I'm only up to "Any Trouble".
Sure, there were intervening vacations, but this little
project may take a little longer than I expected.
If I'm lucky, I'll get to the "B"s sometime next week.
But I won't be deterred. Challenge me, eh??

I've already heard some discs I'd completely forgotten
about . . . so that's the upside (Tuck Andress, "Reckless
Precision"). The downside will be suffering through
some discs I should never have bought or should have
sold off (Paul Anka, "Rock Swings"?!?) . . . but a
commitment is a commitment, damn it! I'd say I've
bitten off more than I can chew, but, ears don't bite
or chew. At least not yet. Let's see what deregulation
of the food industry does to the gene pool.

The "Nowhere Else to Write It" file:
Overheard at my son's summer camp last month, while
standing between two different activity areas:

"Who can point out the butt?" . . . and then, from the
other area, "OK, guys, grab your balls!"

Thought to self: "Um . . . which camp IS this, again?!?"


And now for an installment of, "Hmm, This Is Getting
Suspicious":

Last year, right after the spring thaw, I discovered some
termites coming into the basement. Not actual "white
ant" termites (yet), but the scouting party that comes
in before and throws a wild orgy before letting everyone
else know it's cool to come inside.

So - called the termite people (or should I say, "anti-
termite people"). A guy came out and said there were
no termites and no damage inside - I must have caught
the first wave of the scouting party. We had the house
foundation treated. Enough chemicals were pumped into
the ground to kill everything for years. Except for
one thing: the company that does the treatments needs
to stay in business. They called me yesterday and
gave me a real hard-sell about getting more treatments
done this year. When I told them I wasn't interested,
they kept presenting scenarios, each one more
frightening than the last, about re-infestation.
They started throwing out dollar values on damage
(how would they know that number??). "If you don't
renew, we are not responsible!". Hey - now it sounds
like if we don't pay them, they are going to swing by
and drop off a colony outside the house. What the hell?
Is this a shakedown??? I will spray the foundation
myself and keep vigilant. The first suspicious van
I see outside my house is GOIN' DOWN !

Speaking of going down, someone who reads this
blog recently told me I'd been flagged by her
"family filter". Little ol' ME?? What did I do?
The thing is too sensitive!

Speaking of sensitive, I had to learn a bunch of
old Little Feat songs for a gig. I detect subtle
innuendo in their lyrics. But, maybe I have
an "unFamily" mind . . . or I'm too sensitive.
Yeah, that's it.

Hey, if ears can chew - I can be sensitive!

1 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

That's why I love my iPod. I put everything I own in there and run it on shuffle. Eventually I at least hear a sample of all I own.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home