Thursday, April 10, 2008

It All Comes 'Round Again . . . Again

Background:
In 1986 I was sitting in Giants' Stadium, at the Amnesty
International concert. All the big names were on the
bill - The Police, Peter Gabriel, Yoko Ono . . .

[I actually like Yoko sometimes. Much to the horror
of Mrs. L]

Anyway. Miles Davis was playing. As was fairly typical
for Miles in that period, he started off his set with a lot
of dissonant honking and sputtering. I don't know,
maybe it was his way of driving out the "non-believers"
or something. I heard a faint but growing ever-more-loud
"aaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHH!"
as one guy in the crowd was running, full-speed, up the
stairs of the stadium.

As he passed me, he yelled, "I HATE this SHIT!!!!"

Forward almost 22 years. Yesterday, where the snow had
melted at the end of my driveway, I found a CD: "The
Essential Miles Davis".

I can only imagine that someone driving by this past
winter had the same experience as the guy in Giants'
Stadium all those years ago. I hope it wasn't the SAME
guy. . . maybe it was his kid.

Speaking of '86 - Bill Buckner was invited to throw out the
first pitch at the Red Sox homeopener the other day.
Buckner famously committed the error that lost
game 6 for the Red Sox in the World Series. Now
that the Sox have won two Series, apparently Buckner
is "forgiven".

I don't know, though. If I'd been catching the ball for
him. . . I think I would have let it roll between my
legs to the backstop. Heh. Call me bitter. Or just
cruel. But I had to endure that error while watching
the game with my girlfriend's family, hardcore
Mets fans all. So I guess I feel like *I* still owe
the poor guy some payback! HA!

The Miles' CD (double, at that) plays just fine. The
only thing that was damaged was the promo insert
for other discs.

Speaking of discs, if you haven't done it yet, go
on over to Deni Bonet's web site and buy her
new one. I said so. OK? Just don't throw it in a
snowbank. Or, at least pay for it first. :)

18 Comments:

Blogger flleenie said...

I like all kinds of music, but I can't say that I like Buckner! I'm from Beantown & for him to throw out the 1st pitch, was huge! He is not 'forgiven', but with 2 world series under our belts, we can be a little complacent.

Although if the catcher DID let the ball roll between his legs, it would have been just like a mastercard moment...priceless!!

1:37 AM  
Blogger flleenie said...

oh yeah, Michele sent me!

1:38 AM  
Blogger MaR said...

The Police...one of my very favorite bands!! I will have to listen to Miles Davis today, and it's all your fault, lol.
Michele sent me to say hello. Congrats on being Site of the Day!!

2:38 AM  
Blogger Nepharia said...

My family positively hates all forms of country music, and for all general purposes, so do I.

However, now that I am older (I'm 2.5 centuries now according to my blogger profile), I find I enjoy listening to the older country music that I remember the adults listening to when I was younger.

The music hasn't changed -- I guess I must have. Thanks for your insights and enjoy your new CD.

Michele sent me!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

It's safe for Buckner to come back as none of the players now know who he is! That's weird about Miles Davis...

Oh, and hi, Michele sent me.

10:07 AM  
Blogger barbie2be said...

the miles davis thing... that's just weird.

congrats on being SOTD.

michele sent me.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Jennie said...

Gosh, that Buckner thing...I don't get that whole thing. I feel sorry for the guy. You've made me want to pull out some Miles Davis today too.
Michele sent me!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hello, Michele sent me to say " From one New Hampshireite to another Congrats on being her site of the day!"

I'm going to check out Deni Bonet.

2:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Michele sent me. I've been over to Deni's site the music is wonderful, I'm just waiting for payday or my state income tax refund...which ever comes first. So, as a Red Sox fan, what did you think of Ortiz's jersey buried 2 feet down in concrete at the new Yankees stadium. I'm just sorry they found it before the stadium opened.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Obligatory tagline: Hello, Michele sent me. ;)

The Miles Davis thing is kinda funny, really makes you wonder how it got there...

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being site of the day at Michele's, she sent me over of course & I have to say that it is a serendipitous visit.
You see, my father was a huge Miles Davis fan, he also claimed that Buckner dropping the ball was my fault, I grew up about 20 miles south of Boston & on that fateful evening I came into the room he was watching the game in & knocked over a coat rack, breaking numerous other small items at the same time, my father always claimed this occurred at the exact same moment Buckner looked up & that he somehow heard the chaos I created & that's why he dropped the ball!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Shephard said...

Very funny.
That would make a great question at Michele's... what musician would make you run screaming from a stadium?

Congrats on being SOTD.
Michele says hello!
~S

6:30 PM  
Blogger kenju said...

Michele sent me and I congratulate you on being the site of the day. I have liked Miles Davis since I was about 16.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I love miles davis.

Congratulations on site of the day from Michele's

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came by from Michele's.

Miles Davis in the snow? That's a good thing.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

Yikes! Thanks to Michele for generating all the traffic in this sleepy little burg! It's as if she built a WalMart on my site...LOL.

Hi, everybody! Thanks for stopping by.

So...it was Becky68's fault all along! No wonder they let Buckner off the hook. :)

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey L, this is terrific. Not only are you Michele's site of the day, but you gave me a wonderful plug. Thanks so much. I'm loving you big time right now! Congrats. I'm so glad you like my CD. I can hardly believe it's FINALLY out. Let's just hope nobody goes screaming up the isles at one of my shows!

Have a great weekend. Bask in the glow of Michele! (What a gal.)

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle sent me to listen to you reminisce. Have a great weekend and congrats on being site of the day.

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home