Thursday, October 09, 2008

Back To 1974

Gas lines . . .

Yesterday, a local branch of a credit union staged a "thanking our customers" PR stunt in conjunction with the gas station around the corner from my house. For six or seven hours, they sold gas for $1.99/gallon.

As a result, there was a traffic backup well over a mile long. Here it is outside my house:


I did the math on this one . . . I had a half-tank of gas already - my car only holds eight gallons - so . . . I could wait in line for an hour or more to buy four gallons at a savings of $1.40/gallon, while burning the gas that I had paid $3.40 for the other day. Hmmm . . . seems like a very small payoff there! I wondered if any of the people sitting out there thought of that?

On top of that, I got a call from my son's school: "Due to the traffic on your street, the bus will not be able to pick students up."

So, now I had to drive him to the school.

At the end of this fiasco, I noticed that the DPW hadn't picked up our trash. The bin is full. What am I supposed to do with THIS week's trash???

I e-mailed the credit union and thanked them for fucking up MY day while "thanking" their customers. Asked if perhaps they'd come pick up my trash . . . bastards.

Anyway . . here's a picture I took later of our cat stalking a squirrel:


Every so often, he'd turn around and give me a look that said, "Well?? Are you going to open this screen so I can get out there?!?"

He forgets that I trim his claws, I guess.

It reminds me of when I was a teenager and would be caught eyeing girls by some of my relatives. They'd say, "You wouldn't know what to do if they said yes."

Yeah, well, my relatives were idiots. So maybe the cat would just pounce and use his teeth.
Or tongue (that's what *I* did).

But wait - the cat spends all day licking HIMSELF. Great work, if you are a contortionist, I guess.

You know, I didn't INTEND to work blue today, but I just couldn't stop myself. Too bad.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

We had a similar gas sale screw-up around here too. It seems like a no win situation. I think we're in for some very crazy shit during this depress(ing) recession.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

The gas/petrol cost in Britain is one of the highest imn the world.

Michele sent me.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

Bud: What recession? Oh, you mean the one the gov't says MIGHT be coming.... LOL

Jean-Luc: True...I was over there last year and it translated to about US$8 per gallon. What ARE they pumping out of the North Sea, anyway?? Cooking oil? :)

3:21 PM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

"You wouldn't know what to do if they said yes." lol That's always nice to hear from relatives, isn't it? Wish you could've posted a pic of yourself eyeing the girls. That would've been something...but the cat's cute. ;)

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home