Thursday, October 23, 2008

Infrequent Lugubrious Ramblings

It's a good thing I am not obligated to write on schedule. Really.

Fortune cookie wisdom: "The mightiest oak in the forest is just a little nut that held its ground."

I have to hope THAT one is true . . or I'm screwed.


Actual conversation I had with a client/patient the other day:

Me: "What would you like for lunch?"
C/P: "Do we have any ham?"
Me: "Yes."
C/P: "Do we have any cheese?"
Me: "Yes."
C/P: "Then I'd like a ham and cheese sandwich. But give me a lot of
cheese and only one slice of ham."
Me: "Why?"
C/P: "Because I don't like ham and the cheese will kill the taste of it."




You know what's funny? I frequently play in bands at venues all around the area where I grew up (northshore MA). After almost 30 years of gigs, I have only seen ONE person I knew from my youth, and that happened about 19 years ago. Where did they all go? On the other hand . . . when I went to NYC for one of the Cream shows a few years back, I ran into a bunch of people I knew (though not from my youth). Go figure. I guess it's possible that my natural ability to repel people only radiates out about 200 miles - that would explain the NYC cluster. Then again, maybe my hometown just sucked so much that everyone had to leave. Of course, these days, it looks like every other town - they finally have their mini-malls and Starbucks . . .which saves me the trouble of having to go back, since I've got those in NH. Oh, yeah, and I don't know anyone there.



Wait . . it's not true! There WAS another guy . . I got a call to fill in for some band's ailing bass player back around 1995, and the band's guitar player was a guy I knew from high school. OK, so I'm either a liar or have early-onset Alzheimer's. But, I never saw that guy again and don't remember the name of the band. That could be a clue . . .


I never went to any of those high school reunion things, but I did get this observation from a friend who went to his: "All the women are hotter and all the men are fat and/or bald."

Well, there you go.

Hey, what do you do after your record company has already put your old LP out on CD, and then after you have put it out again yourself as a 'remastered' CD??

Why......put it out yourself (again), half-speed and/or reversed!!!!!
...of course!

Example:

Fripp & Eno - No Pussyfooting
1: 1-5 "The Heavenly Music Corporation"
6-7 "Swastika Girls"
8-12 "The Heavenly Music Corporation" (reversed)
CD 2: 1-5 "The Heavenly Music Corporation" (half speed)
6-7 "Swastika Girls" (reversed)

-----------------------------------------------


What a great idea! This should be done with EVERY record ever made!!!
. . . um . . . well . . . maybe not. Let's start with old Partridge Family
records and see where it takes us.

Speaking of 'old' recordings . . . do you ever attach emotions to particular songs/albums that take years to overcome, if ever? My quest to 'listen to all my CDs' (yeah, I'm still at it) has brought me to Ani Difranco's "To The Teeth". When this one came out, we lived in a really shitty apartment with a complete tool of a landlord. It was hell. And for the longest time, I couldn't listen to this CD because it reminded me of living in that dump and dealing with that shithead. The spell must have broken, because I actually got through the whole disc without wanting to punch someone! :)

About two weeks ago, I wrote a song about a fictitious couple named John & Sarah. I had some grand plan about a full band and a female singer for the Sarah lines - alas, the troops could not be roused sufficiently to do the thing before its shelf-life (hopefully) expires. So instead I cut a bare-bones guitar/voc demo version. I suppose I need to post it up somewhere. There could be at least three people who'd get a laugh from it. And wouldn't that make it all worthwhile??? What can I say? I'm a giver.

Yeah.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog- I understand your frustration with the helmet wearer on Halloween we had so many wardrobe changes between my 2 kids that I thought we were never going to get out the door.
Re attaching past emotions to songs- happens all the time to me- can be good but I hear ya on how it can really throw you for an unpleasant loop too.

6:25 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Yeah, people I knew or still know rarely come to my gigs. Having moved 1500 miles away has something to do with that. You're right about the reunion thing. I've been t two and i stay in touch with those I want. The chicks are hotter. Even at our age. I loved the song you sent me. You inspired me to get to work. But I'm much slower than you.

5:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home