Saturday, May 07, 2005

Right of Way, Out of Mind

There's no sidewalk in front of my house. This means
that every winter, salt and sand from the road destroy
anything green (weeds, mostly) along the front edge
of my yard.

This attracts the neighbours' contractors and their vehicles.
"Let's just park over there - there's plenty of room!"

Despite having told people several times that it's not
"the side of the road", but actually my property . . . yes,
verified by the city and the police department . . . every
spring the neighbours try to stake a claim for "public use"
of my property. I don't get it.

If I parked my car on their front yard, I don't think they'd
approve. I've thought about it, though : "Oh, I figured you
wouldn't mind. It'll be gone in a few hours."

Yesterday a second-banana for a pool contractor parked a big
trailer on my front yard. When I told him it was private property,
he gave me crap . . .

"There's no sign."

"I don't need a sign. Do YOU have a NO PARKING sign on
YOUR yard?"

"There's a 10-foot right-of-way."

"That's measured from the CENTER of the road, not off the
edge, pal."

"I'll be done in five minutes anyway."

It was twenty-five.

Now I know why so many of my friends have moved to
deserted parts of the world.

(Wait. Are they getting away from guys like him or ME??)

Anyway . . . all I want from my neighbours is to not
know they exist. Is that asking too much?

I knew a guy who worked in his family's sub shop.
Sometimes the place would get REALLY loud and it
would drive him nuts. One day, he stepped out from
behind the counter and screamed at the top of lungs,
"WILL EVERYBODY PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP?!?!"

The place went dead silent. He said, "That's better", and
stepped behind the counter again.

Bullhorn. I'll need a bullhorn . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Oh, how I love disputes with neighbours. A couple of months I went mad with the neighbours because they took down the fence in their garden and replaced it with a small wire one. We lost all our privacy and I felt exposed (it ran along the full length of our backgarden).

We got our own back by putting up builders tarpaulin. Now it's summer we can't see it, but they can.

Funny, now they are nice as pie. I wonder why?

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One day I would like a house with no sidewalk! THat;s my dream LOL

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M... are you experiencing some STRESSSSSS!!!!!! Sound like you and the Mrs. need a little trip TO THE CITY!!!!! (Seriously... a tiny vacation maybe?)

1:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, yeah! A trip to the impound lot would do us a world of good!! Thanks, LG!! ;)

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home