Thursday, January 19, 2006

Barter

Today I heard some rustling outside the front door. I opened the door
and a squirrel was standing there. He immediately ran to a tree.
He looked prettty thin, so I figured he was scrounging around
the yard for food.

I went to the cabinet and grabbed a handful of cashews. Then I went
outside and put them on the fencepost. I pointed at the squirrel and
then gestured toward the cashews. Then I went inside.

Predictably, the squirrel climbed onto the fence and ate the nuts.

A little while later, I heard rustling at the door. I looked out.
The squirrel had a pine cone, which he proceeded to drop on
the doorstep. Then he ran back to the tree.

I assume it was his thanks for the food. Or, maybe he was
just littering where *I* live, as I'd done to him!

5 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

That's pretty funny. There used to be cat around here that would nibble on the catnip I was growing on pots by the front porch, then roll around for a tummy rub while he was high. Then he started dropping off dead animals for me on the front porch...a bird...chipmunk. Haven't seen him around in a few years, so I assumed his owner moved.

Funny, in college a stray that I used to feed left me a partially decomposed crow on the fire escape.

Neither cat was ever seen shaking a hind leg at me, so I'm sure it wasn't meant to be a cruel joke.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww... how cute!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Hmm, nice squirrel. A squirrel with a sense of fairness. I wonder what he'd leave you if you gave him a dollar?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Shannon akaMonty said...

I think he was just reciprocating. So you'll give him more of the good stuff. :)

Send him over to my house~my squirrels are all fat and sassy as I'm surrounded by oak trees and piles of acorns. :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Z said...

That's a fantastic, and very cute, story.

5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home