Wednesday, March 01, 2006

I Do Not Sound Like That!

Yesterday I discovered an old Til Tuesday LP here.
It brought back memories....let's go back to the
god-forsaken 80s....

When Til Tuesday was still a "club band", I brought
my then-girlfriend to hear them at a local bar.
"You've got to hear the bass player's voice...she sounds
just like YOU", I said to my girlfriend. The two of
them had "separated-at-birth" voices.

But my girlfriend was not amused. In fact, she was
thoroughly pissed off that I had even suggested she
sounded like Aimee Mann...or the other way around...
I'm not sure who was the eldest.

Fast forward a few years. Although no longer dating,
my ex and I are still friends. One day I hear her
happily accepting a compliment from someone who
tells her she "sounds like Aimee Mann". This time
it makes her happy. What the...?!

It has been suggested that once Aimee got famous,
then it was OK, but not before. But that would be
shallow. Har har....

3 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Typical irony. Just like earlier this week when I was commanded by my boss to slip off a few data runs to a client "under the table" before they had actually signed the contract with the data supplier, on the same day I got an email from corporate about mandatory "Ethics training." Unrelated scenarios, but same irony.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Bud said...

Yeah the whole comparison is thorny. I get people teling me I sound like dozens of different and diverse singers. I've learned to just say thanks and push it from my mind.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

Perhaps I should admit that around this same time, some guy said the band I was in sounded like .38 Special...

I still can't figure out where he got that idea. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they mean it as a compliment, right Bud? :)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home