Thursday, August 31, 2006

I'm Back....Almost

Well, well.....a few hundred dollars and a 'forced upgrade' later,
here I am, able to post from home once again.

Would you believe that Windows 98 is no longer supported?
What's that about?? I thought antiques were popular these
days. I was just about to send my machine out on the
"Roadshow". And then disaster struck.

Believe this: when the capacitors on the motherboard
leak brown goo....it's bad news.

So, now I've got the thing back together. The first thing
that went wrong was, my old modem software had never
heard of my new operating system. Off to the store to
buy a new modem. Sigh. Hey, a brand new modem
comes with all the snazzy new drivers....woo hoo.

However, while I was fighting with the old one,
I got that comical message that's always in modem
help files: "If you experience difficulty with the installation,
contact customer support online at...."

If I could GET online, I wouldn't have a problem!!! How
am I supposed to go to your web site if the modem isn't
working?!? Duh.

Right now, it looks like I can't access any of my text
files, either. I know there's probably a way around that
but I won't get to it today. This is going to require a bunch
of free time and LOTS of coffee (the miracle elixir).

More posting tomorrow, during "pulling my hair out"
breaks.

As for Transgression Thursdays, I suppose they will
return next week. But for today, let's tip our hats to
the electronics and software industries. May they
never be accountable. Well...not really....but they're
too slippery to nail to a wall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home