Thursday, September 07, 2006

Transgression Thursday 7

Well, first of all, let's start with the people who manufacture computer
parts. My motherboard just kind of melted....brown goo leaking
from capacitors, etc. Do you remember the days when electronics
and appliances lasted forever? You practically had to break
things with a sledge hammer to justify throwing them away.
Not anymore - no, now you're EXPECTED to buy a new
one (whatever it is) every couple of years.

I remember having refrigerators and washing machines that
were 30+ years old and working fine. One time, a vacuum cleaner
salesman moved into my neighbourhood. Probably in the
late 80s, I think. He came by to introduce
himself and mentioned that he worked for Electrolux. "So, if you
ever need a vacuum...." -- I told him I already had an Electrolux
and showed him my 1953 model, that had been a wedding gift
to my parents. "It works just fine", I told him. "Hmm...that's
...good....I guess...", was his reply, sensing that Electrolux R&D
must not have understood the concept of "commissions" back in the
1950s. "Quality" doesn't pay the salesman's bills! (That vaccum
still works, by the way.)


Moving on, I'll say: Fate sucks. It really does. Apart from all the
people in the world who serve no purpose other than to be in my
way, there is also the "Law of Lost and Found". Basically, anytime
I give up looking for something I've misplaced and go spend
money on a new one, I find the old one IMMEDIATELY. But not
before I've done something to make the new one non-returnable.

For example, I had lost one of my notepads. Yesterday I bought
a new one. I came home and sure enough....there's the old one
I had misplaced. Right there. In semi-plain sight.

Just for laughs, let's see what's on it.
- Phone numbers for various drummers (at least two of whom
I'd NEVER want to work with ever again - so how long has this
pad been missing, exactly?).

- The phone number for the Trenton Recreation Department.
Yeah, great, that's handy to have, up here in NH.

- A list of songs I had intended for the band (none of which ever
happened).

- The lyrics to the theme song for "George of the Jungle".

- contact info for a keyboard player who hasn't lived in New England
for about 8 or 10 years.

-A quote from Jeanne Zelasko, made just prior to game 4 of the 2004
World Series: "If you're a Red Sox fan, history may or may not be
in your immediate future." Um....whaaat? Isn't history always in
the past?

-CD sales accounting for the band. Uh oh....

- a note to copy a bunch of LPs to CD. Among them: Prince Flo
& Jah Edward. Why did I never get around to that???

- Set lists for at least two bands that never made it out of the
planning stages.

Oh, well. I guess that means my own ambition has transgressed.

AH - LATE-BREAKING NEWS !!!!
I saw Ann Coulter on some talk show claiming BILL CLINTON
IS GAY. Well, then, rescind the impeachment - he obviously
wouldn't have been with a woman! You dipshit!!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

I hope nobody finds my lost Palm Pilot. I just bought a new one. My iPod broke and I'm gonna wait for the next new one next week before I makde a decision. You're so right about the good old stuff that still works. And I can't find a damn thing since I moved my studio into a temporary space while they pretend to build the new one. It'll be fun when I move back in and find all those missing goodies.

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I just can't bring myself to carry around one more electronic device. I begrudgingly accepted a cell phone from Mrs. L, and though it's nice to be in touch, now I actually WORRY when I forget the thing. I never worried BEFORE, when I didn't have a phone!! "Progress".

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home