Thursday, September 27, 2007

Improv and Stupidity

Last night I took Master L to see a music
"event".

We went to a tiny gallery space to hear
the Akashic Ensemble. The group is
Don Preston (originally of the Mothers of
Invention, all those years ago) on piano
and Moog synth, Andre' Cholmondeley
on guitar/guitar synth/loops and Cheri
Jiosne on electronic percussion.

There were a lot of requests for Zappa
pieces because Don was in The Mothers
of Invention from about 1967-72 or so.
He honoured most of those BEFORE the
actual concert got underway . .

Master L was groovin' on the improv. He
chatted with Don after the show and Don
(who just turned 75 this week) seemed
genuinely happy that what he was doing
could "reach" a kid Master L's age. He
thanked me for bringing him to the show.
Another generation touched.

Here, Master L is discussing with Don the
finer points of differences in replacement
capacitors for the old synths, the varying
quality of manufacturers today vs. the 60s,
and voltage requirements for various sound
applications :



OK - I made that last part up.

Let's move on to the stupidity part of this post. . .

Last week the bottom part of my garage door broke
apart . . in the 'up' position. To get it closed, I had
to cut the wires and have Mrs. L push the door forward
while I pulled it down. Sure, there would only be a
fraction of a second to get my fingers out of the
space, but I could do it . . . no problem . . .

Uh, huh.

As soon as the door cleared the frame, it came
down faster than I could have believed possible.
After all, it ONLY weighs 300 pounds.
I got my fingers out, but not before getting a
serious pinch on the first, middle and ring
fingers of my right hand. I guess that's a GOOD
thing . . . if I didn't get them out faster, I would
have cut the tips off.

What an idiot! WHY didn't I just use a pry bar
to pull? STUPID!!!!!

I was able to play a gig last Friday with the
assistance of a lot of ibuprofen, but the middle
finger is still hurting today. Almost makes me
think there is a hairline fracture or something.
I can rest it until at least Monday's rehearsal
and see what happens. Gig on Tuesday either
way . . .

Buy stock in ibuprofen this week.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

So cool Master L is diggin' the good old stuff..

I've been in a similar finger situation. Dislocated middle finger on the fret hand. It made me employ a LOT of open Dsus 2 and sus A stuff. Not a bad thing. Then when my right fingers were infected, my dermatologist gave me some topical pain killer. That worked pretty well. But if you have a bone issue all I can say to do is pain killers and start using a pick. Killer to get used to, I guess but that baby ain't healing if you keep plucking away at it.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bud: I once dislocated the middle joint of my fret hand. I had too many gigs to cancel and ended up playing with the brace on the finger. It only clacked against the neck two or three times per 12 bars...

10:35 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

That comment made no sense!! I meant, the middle joint of the fourth finger of my fretting hand!

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home