Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Lower Tolerance

Sigh . . .

I usually steer away from REALLY complaining about what
"they" are doing [my mother was always telling me "that's
what THEY say" . . . except she always assumed whatever
THEY said was true. I'm talking about the other THEY].

So -- sorry, but here goes.

In this morning's Boston Globe, I read the following:

"Americans are outraged by the situation in Burma," Bush
said at the UN General Assembly. "The ruling junta remains
unyielding, yet the people's desire for freedom is unmistakable."

This is something he's especially good at doing: changing the topic
in mid-stream to hide his own agenda. The first sentence refers
to "Burma" [he means Myanmar, right?] ....the second refers to
the US, I'm sure.

This is just like the time right after 9/11 (wouldn't it be funny
if someone named their kid Ninah Levin??), when he talked
about the "lack of communication" and "inability to connect
the dots", referring to the FBI and CIA not sharing information
with each other. In the next breath, he was calling for "another
hundred thousand for FBI".....BUT....the "fbi" he was referring to
at THAT point was, "faith-based initiatives". Take a look at
this : http://www.whitehouse.gov/government/fbci/

Is that even legal??

I thought there was a constitutional separation of church and
state??? Oh, wait, "Constitution" . . . that document is
"just a piece of paper", after all. Or so said the "president".
And "president" is just a word, you know.

I caught some local right-wing talk radio the other day
(the radio comes on when I eject a CD in my car, and
have the station set on the traffic/weather station --
which becomes a talk station at night). The host
was playing clips of that day's Obama speech,
with the chorus of "The Boxer" playing under it.
"Lie lie lie . . . lie lie lie lie, lie lie lie . . ."
Pathetic. Well, I'm no Obama fan. In fact,
I'm pretty much a fan of NONE of them, on either
side of the aisle. BUT . . . "lie lie lie" ??? Why
not play it under EVERY speech from EVERY
candidate, as well as EVERY press conference
just about anywhere? I mean, come on!! If
you have to go THAT cheap at this point,
clearly your side is just as bad or worse!

What's driving my sudden need to spout off, I wonder?
Maybe it's just that I'm getting old. That's right, I'm
not going to soften it with "older". I still remember the
days when I didn't have to grunt every time I stood up.
I can remember when I could exert myself until I knew
I was getting tired, instead of finishing something and
getting a massive rush of exhaustion all at once.
I can remember when . . . well, this one requires
some background . . .

I was at my brother-in-law's house once and
my nephews' girlfriends were there. One of them
bent over to do something and exposed way too much
of herself. My brother-in-law made some comment
like "nice view". The two girls (in their early 20s)
looked at him and me, looked at each other, and
said, as one, "EWWWWW!"

I'm sure they would have just laughed if someone
their own age had said it. Well, maybe not. You
never know. But. . .

"The shine is off the apple", as my old co-worker
Joe used to say. Face it. OLD!

So -- the point is, the older I get, the lower my
tolerance for BS. And I've really had it with
being told "we're doing this" when it's actually
"doing that". But who cares what *I* think?
I'm just too selfish. I should look at the big
picture.

But I'll need to get my glasses first. I'm old,
you know.

Think happy thoughts . . . "A smile is just a frown
turned upside down. So, if you see someone
frowning, rip their head off and flip it over."

1 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

You're reading my thoughts. You're singing my song. I just keep changing the tune to more up tempo stuff.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home