Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Right the First Time

A bit of a rant today....

I just saw Michael Bolton on the "Ellen" show.
He's pushing his new album of songs originally
made famous by Frank Sinatra. Or maybe he's
making sure everyone knows he's with Nicolette
Sheridan, I'm not sure.

I'm not a huge Sinatra fan, but...weren't these
songs done right the FIRST time? Why make lame
attempts to recreate them??

The worst offenders in this category, in my opinion,
are the people who cover Jimi Hendrix songs. FORGET
IT!!! They were already done the only way they should
be done. Just last week, a drummer I worked with
mentioned the Derek and the Dominos version of "Little
Wing". His question was the same one I've heard for
years: "What's with the DA! DADADA! DADADA DA DAAAA! ???"

[if you know the original and this version, you know
what he meant!]

Thirty-five years or so have passed, and it STILL makes
no sense.

So, my advice is - unless someone does a crappy rendition
of a song with potential, LEAVE IT ALONE!!

[Final decision on all matters of taste will be made by
Mr. L, at least in this space. No refunds]

3 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

I don't personally have a problem with bands performing covers, but if the original was brillaint, don't try to top it with a new arrangement.

I vote for original songs myself. I just received a new CD I that bought by an indie artist today, and she's fantastic. It's all original material. I won't plug her here--wrong venue--but I did over at my place, and no, I have no financial interest in her CD sales, any more than I do in Bud's or Deni's.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nor mine, apparently!! LOL!!!!
Now I'll have to head over and see who you're talking about...

12:42 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

you've discovered the main problem with 'american idol!' congratulations!!!

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home