Friday, April 07, 2006

Staking the Claim

In my quest to have more income (other than
what I can pry from the claws of club owners by
playing music), I decided to apply for....a...."real"...
don't panic now....JOB. Oh, my....

[**Did you know?....Sitting around the house making
cappuccino is not as lucrative as one might expect!?!**]

Well, the first order of business was to get my job
history in order, so potential employers could call
and find out that I really DID have some other work,
even if WAS in the dark, distant past.

It wasn't that easy. The last company where I had worked
had changed its name slightly, just enough to throw me off the trail for
a day or two. I think changing the name of your company was
"required" around the year 2000, to give the illusion of being
"modern". As if the name change wasn't enough to hide the place
from me, it was also government work, on a government property....
so the address wasn't exactly "out there" for public consumption.
I think they started doing THAT around 2001.

I actually NEVER found it listed anywhere. I did find a branch
office about 800 miles away....I called them to tried to get through
to personnel, but they wouldn't talk to me. Hmph. Talk about
security...

Then, suddenly, I remembered one of the phone numbers.
Wow...how was THAT still floating around in my head??
I called, and of course got the wrong person...but I was
in the building, so they transferred me to personnel.

So now I know where I used to work.

The woman I talked to actually remembered me, after almost
seven years. I had only worked there three. I told Mrs. L,
"Becky from the Personnel Department still remembers me.
Apparently I made quite an impression."

Mrs. L replied, "She probably had a 'thing' for you."

Ah, Mrs. L.....still aggressively staking her claim after 17 years.
You've gotta love that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home