Friday, March 24, 2006

The Return of Mr. L

It's hard to miss me when I never seem to have much to
say anyway, isn't it? You probably didn't even know
I was missing.

Last week I noticed some weird stuff going on with my
computer. I remember these things as being symptoms
of a dying battery on the mother board, so after a couple
of days of thinking about doing it, I finally went to the
store and bought a new battery. Then I took the computer
apart to get at the old one and install the new one.

When I fired it up, the machine refused to boot up because
the BIOS now needed to be reset. Sigh. OK....I took it
apart again to find the jumper on the motherboard.

Unfortunately, the sections of this old board I use that were
labelled "bios" and "cmos" were NOWHERE NEAR any
of the jumpers....dammit....it's my own fault for piecing this
computer together with a friend of mine from "whatever
was around"....other peoples' cast offs, etc.

I searched for the manual for the board....of course, I couldn't
find it. So, I had to take the CPU to someone who had the
documentation/knowledge and PAY THEM to do it. Grrrrr!
Now I'm sure the stupid manual will turn up.

Anyway, I had lots to complain about while I was gone. Maybe
I'll remember some of it and share. What I can't figure out is:
How did the pioneers survive the wilderness without hundreds
of e-mails per week??

2 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Ah, there you are! So your using a Frankenputer, huh? Pretty cool 'til you loe the specs. But you already know that. Glad you're back.

11:21 AM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

welcome back, mr l! your dry wit was missed.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home