Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Consumer-Proof

Oh, no! Another rite of passage into old age!

Today I bought a new CD. When I left the store
and got into the car, I figured I'd give it a listen.

I had to fight with the plastic wrapping. After I
got past that, it was the curse of the "digipack":
the disc was locked so tightly into the package
that it seemed as if I'd have to break either the
package or the disc to remove it.

In fact, I couldn't get it out until I got home...
and even then I had to crack the plastic to
get the disc free. Nice.

It's the modern audio equivalent of the safety
caps pill bottles that only kids can open. How
many times did your parents/grandparents ask
you to open a bottle of pills for them?

Soon I may be asking my son to open my CDs
for me.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

Zero times on the pill bottles, but I once sat next to an elderly woman on a flight back from LAX and watched her struggle, then give up, with her meal's bag of Sunchips, and toss them down in disgust on her tray table.

I offered to open them for her, nicely, she accepted, and handed me the bag. She looked like she was starving, and even I sometimes have a hard time with those hermetically sealed bags of snacks.

At least I didn't try to grab them from her, and say something obnoxious like "Here, let me do that for you!"

10:19 PM  
Blogger Jpatrick said...

To me, these things are a challenge. And I will win over any machine. Man vs machine. That's how I look at it.

10:25 PM  
Blogger hellomelissa said...

our family favorites are the dvd cases. first, the cellophane on the outside, which is sealed much like a cd. then the long strips of industrial strength scotch tape on not one, not two, but THREE sides. stuck inside with the highly prized film is the little black security tab... and i feel as though i've entered the bank vault. all this for a dvd that in all probability cost 10 bucks.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Bud said...

Yeah, I hate those things. You know i have issues with my nails. I always look for a tool of some sort. A little pen knife or a machete!

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home