Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Flashback

I was driving home the other day, listening to the "Police Live"
CD. The song "Synchronicity II" played.

All of a sudden, it dawned on me: I had played this song in a
band. I had even been the one forced to sing it. I had completely
forgotten about this....it was in what I like to refer to as
"The God-Forsaken 80s".

Then the memory started coming back. Other songs we covered in
that band: "Message in a Bottle", also by the Police, "Mirror in the
Bathroom" by the English Beat..."Badge", by Cream....."We Used To
Know", by Jethro Tull....

Where had this information been hiding in my brain? Frightening.

I wondered if there is any audio evidence of this band.
After a couple of e-mails (remember, any person is only a few people
away from you!), I was able to track down the drummer from that
band - who now lives in South Carolina, apparently. He claims to
have recordings of some of the performances. Yikes!!!

It could be very bad. Or, there could be some gems.
As I've aged, I find very old recordings of mine to be amusing
rather than embarrassing. Hey, everybody has to start somewhere.
Sometimes I'll hear my younger self playing some really cool bass part
and I have to work to figure it out how the hell I did it.

But if anybody has audio of the Elvis showband I played in right
after I graduated from high school, I may have to make them
"an offer they can't refuse".

1 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

That is an interesting thing--I often find something I wrote long long ago and can't believe I had been that smart, or that dumb or that whatever way back then. I think we have a hard time recognizing ourselves.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home