Friday, May 13, 2005

Fear of Heights....and Work

I have no trouble climbing up a ladder. And only a
bit of trouble hopping off the ladder onto the roof.

Then I'm "treed".

Well, not really. But, after I'm on the roof for about
10 or 15 minutes I start getting a sickening bout of
vertigo. Then I have to sit still for a few minutes
before I can even THINK about moving.

Convincing myself to get back ON the ladder to
climb down is another story. I know how it
works: approach from a 45-degree angle, grab
the top of the ladder with both hands, swing your
foot around onto the rung. If you do it right, your
weight holds the ladder down so it won't tip.

Yeah, I know all that. That SOUNDS great.
It takes me awhile to accomplish it, though.

And why am I suffering with it at all? My roof needs
repair. I can't afford to have "the pros" do it. My brother
is doing it. But because the (way-overpriced) guy
he's got helping him doesn't show up every day, it was
in my interest to attempt to overcome my fear.

It didn't work.

Speaking of overpriced help.....this guy answers his
cellphone on my dime WAY too often. But I figure
if I take him to task, he'll probably just quit and then
we'll have two more days' work to do....and I'LL
be "treed".

I've been out of the "mainstream workforce" for 6
years. Can anyone tell me: do a lot of people
spend most of their workday taking non-work
calls on their cellphones now???

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luckily have no fear of heights! PS I did buy LG's CDS.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Z said...

I have a fear of heights too. I was up a ladder helping my husband mend a huge hole in our ceiling. I had a 3ft by 5 ft piece of plaster board above my head, when all of a sudden I got dizzy. I dropped it and my husband wasn't amused.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like heights AT ALL! But I'm ain't a'scared! I'll come over and give you a hand!

Actually, come to think of it, I DID get stuck upside on the uneven bars in high school when we had to do gymnastics. So maybe I should just "supervise" from down below!

BTW, I LIVE on my cell phone, (like every good New Yorker should!) I have my best personal conversations with friends and family when I'm walking around town. It's the rare time I have off to sit around chatting these days!

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MrsMogul: Maybe when she removes a box of CDs from the bottom of the closet, an old violin will fall out and she'll send it to me!! :)

Now I just need to find a way to get MY boxes moving, too. I'll wait for her contest, then 'steal' her ideas...OK, LG?!?

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Turbo: I keep dropping the ceiling panel that leads to the attic on my OWN head!!

Last Girl: I HATE the phone. Unless it's someone calling to offer me work!

(RING!!!)
Mr. L (to self): "F@#$!!!!!"
(to caller): "Hello?"
Caller: "Can you gig next Friday"

Mr. L: "Sure! Hey, good to hear from you...."

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And that is why I never asnswer my phone if I've been partying! You never know who might be calling you!

If I get hit on the head with one of those fiddles when they come tumbling out of the closet... it's yours... OK? How's that?

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home