Saturday, June 18, 2005

The Waiting Game

The other day, my son and I went on a typical
excursion to the supermarket. I grabbed a random
CD for the ride, as I always do when I go out.

The CD turned out to be Todd Rundgren,
"Nearly Human".

As the second song ("The Waiting Game") was
playing, I noticed that my son was getting
visibly, and very seriously, upset. I asked him
what was wrong.

He said, "Dad? Can you change this song?
It's reminding me of things that make me sad."

I said, "OK....what is it about it that
makes you sad?"

He told me he "didn't want to talk about it
right now."

I still don't know what it was about. But the
song stirred up something very powerful
inside him.

Mrs. L thinks it might have something to do
with relatives that have passed that he knows
he can't see anymore.

We may never know.

5 Comments:

Blogger slow poke kate said...

poor littl guy. I think I sometimes forget that children feel so strongly towards situations as well.I hope he feel comfortable enough to talk about it to you :) At least you are concerned. I am sure you son picked up on that.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda: I'm sure he'll open up in awhile. Like most of us, he starts "thinking about stuff" at the end of the day when it's time to go to sleep. One of these nights he'll probably want to have a serious discussion, it just hasn't happened yet. Aren't you glad you don't teach night school?? LOL!

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's amazing how a music can make someone, even a kid, feel emotions so deep that they need to meditate on them for a while. He's lucky his dad can relate to that! When I was a kid, I didn't have that problem. My folks mostly listened to show tunes and Alan Sherman!

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LG: Funny you should mention him...there's a wayward LP copy of "My Son, The Folk Singer" down in my basement! I keep thinking I should at least move it so it's with the other LPs...but I don't, for some reason. Great - now I've got "Hello Muddah...." playing in my head!!!

3:49 AM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

I'm just impressed that the kid actually LISTENED to Todd Rundgren!

Hi, nice to meet you. I'm a pal of Last Girl's and I clicked from your comment there.

My sons both enjoy "my" music, and my older one has turned me on to some (like Jack Johnson or The John Butler Trio) as a returned favor. Life is cool that way!

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home