Friday, June 24, 2005

Zeta Dad

Tried to sign my son up for summer swim
classes this week . . . but I can't keep up with
the Alpha Moms.

First, the city announced that the signup was
Thursday morning, so we went down there at
8:30 for the 9 a.m. signup. There was no one
around.

Eventually, some other people showed up to
sign up. Then, a city employee showed up to
tell us that the signup had been moved to
Friday. Then it took me an hour to extract my
son from the playground so we could do the
rest of our errands.

This morning, I couldn't wake my son up. He
just "waved me off".... so I ended up going to
the park by myself.

This time, though, there was a huge line. You'd
have thought Springsteen and U2 were playing a
double-bill and tickets were going on sale today.
There was a big line of folding chairs.
Some people said they had been in line since
7 a.m.!

After I had been waiting in line for over an hour,
a city employee came out and announced that Levels
1-3 were full. I bet you can guess that my son is in
that range!!!

So I guess we wait for the next session, and I'll buy
some camping gear. Mmm....omelets over sterno....

3 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

So, why didn't you just pick up your kid in his pj's and carry him there to sign up, like my mom would have done with me, 30-some years ago? My dad is fine, but my mom was a frickin' A-number 1-control freak. We got the crap beaten out of us, if we even looked defiant. I don't advocate that, but, still, c'mon, wake the kid, if it's something he wants to do.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just couldn't force it two days in a row...my head was going to explode!!!

9:54 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

Oh well. I'm partial to chili on a Coleman stove that uses gasoline, myself. Hold the sour cream, extra cheddar, please.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home