Monday, July 04, 2005

Jive 8

Warning: if you don't like cynicism, move on!!!
But if you didn't, why would you be around here
anyway?

Lots of gushing going on about Live 8. So I guess
the only relatively "safe" place to voice my honest
opinion is here, on my own blog. That way I will
only annoy about six people.

I thought the whole thing was a big joke.

"We can make poverty history!"

Really? Is that in the interest of ANY leader, anywhere?
Political leaders have used peoples' economic situations
to manipulate them since the first vote was cast.
"Vote Thog - he have more stones!!!"

When I saw the list of performers, I figured they all said,
"HEY! A charity concert! And a camera hasn't been on me
for five minutes!! I MUST be there!"

Same faces. Who cares? Twenty-plus years, and U2 are no
better than when they started (uh, oh - here come the flames!!).
I liked them when they came out....I just didn't know they'd
never progress once they got the money. I thought maybe
"The Edge" would take some of his royalties and maybe
get some guitar lessons, instead of relying on his echo-box
to play 3/4 of the notes for him (here comes another blast!!!!).
Oh, and are they unable to afford razors, soap or shampoo?!?
Or is that look just part of being "filthy" rich?

Some people are saying the concert will "raise awareness and let
the world leaders know how we feel". Trouble is, world leaders
don't care how we feel. They probably don't even know the
concert happened. Hell, they couldn't tell you how much a loaf
of bread costs - they haven't had to buy one for themselves for so
long (if ever), they have no clue about such things.

But we showed them. We reunited Pink Floyd. If we can do that,
well ....

You know, if only the Beatles had done that Boat People benefit
in the 70s, maybe we could have avoided ALL the world's problems.

5 Comments:

Blogger Admin said...

That sums it rather aptly. The only hitch is that it wasn't even a charity concert. Tickets were free, so it's not as if there were any profits to go to an actual charity.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Karan Simpson said...

My 24 yr old niece was so excited about the "magnitude of impact so many people could have on the world leaders at the cusp of the G8 conference." She had signed the petition and is "so positive Live 8 is going to make a difference". With measured words I could only say "You are young. Keep working for things that matter. Try not to lose your enthusiasm." It really made me kind of sad on so many levels.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We can make poverty history!" isn't that the line.. that Miss American contestants use....
m

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I COMPLETELY agree with you here, Mr. L! (Even did a couple of blogs on this, myself.) That concert wasn't about helping...it was about Bob Geldof trying to make a political statement.

1:02 AM  
Blogger Lurid said...

Word. Maybe they meant well.

12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home