Monday, July 04, 2005

A Recommendation

I played at an outdoor festival Saturday afternoon.
It was an interesting experience, at least in part
due to the humidity affecting the intonation of
the instruments!

There was a bluegrass trio rehearsing in the
parking lot before their set. They were doing a
song about "cocaine being the ruination of me"
or something like that ... it was actually very
good, as were they, but when they surveyed
the youth element in the crowd they scratched
that number from their list.

I played with a singer/songwriter and my
brother (which almost NEVER happens).
We had run through the songs exactly one time
a couple of days before, but we did OK.
"We fooled 'em", as my old friend Gene
Sibley would say.

One of the songs was almost Captain Beefheart-ish.
It was fun.

I would have liked to hear more of the other performers,
but I couldn't hang around - I had to pack
up and drive to Maine for a gig with my band.
And when I say "drive", I mean "sit in traffic for a
couple of hours on Route 95".

When I finally made it to the place, I tried to catch
a little sleep in the car. I CANNOT do it. My
wife can do it ... my son can do it ... not me.
So I did the only logical thing: I ate a burrito and
walked around town until gig time rolled around.

In the crowd that night was a guy I hadn't seen in 10 years.
He had no idea I'd be there, he was just in Maine on
vacation. What a weird coincidence. But, a good one.

Then I drove the 90 miles home at 2 in the morning.
As we say, "We do this 'cause it's fun!"

(I know, "Waah....")

Oh, yeah ... recommendation ...

At the festival, I ran into a singer/songwriter I had met
a couple of years ago. He was good then, and he's
good now! Check him out. His name is Carl Cacho.

And now to reheat the pesto ....

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No pics? In my next life I want to be a bass player ! Happy Belated fourth!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alas, I don't own a digital camera, and the old K-1000 is too much trouble to lug around with all my musical equipment. Lots of people WERE taking pictures, but so far nothing has turned up via e-mail. I was hiding in the back of the stage, anyway!!

6:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a blast of a weekend! What festival was it? At least it didn't rain... oh that's right... I wasn't playing this one! lol

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was just a small local thing. Very 60s vibe. There was a "drum circle" in the woods! There were anti-war signs everywhere. And a big sign in the middle of the grounds that said "Bushes Only Appear Presidential When At War".
Me, I just play the bass and stay out of the way. Always. Well, almost.

10:29 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

In my next life, I just want to have a voice that can hold a tune without dropping it on someone's foot like an anvil! From there, we can work on instruments that don't involve wax paper and combs--although I actually could play the castinets as a kid. But who's kidding who? It's just knocking some wood together between your fingers at the right tempo, right?

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The right tempo is very important, Jane Bear, especially in the styles of music that use castinets!
But can you play them AND hold a rose in your teeth?? LOL

12:21 PM  
Blogger Srikar said...

First time here. Nice blog. You seem to be someone who's interested in photography. Check out my photoblog - snapshots2097.blogspot.com

Will surely be back here.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

Can't tell you how much I miss New Hampshire, my home state. Used to play drums in NH/Maine with local weekend GB bands.

Enjoy!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I'd probably lose the rose, but maybe nobody'd notice if I wore my (allegedly sexy) 3.25" heel Harley Davidson ankle boots. Don't even ask why HD makes boots like these, but they really ARE comfy, despite the fact that I rarely wear heels that are over about an inch high. The ground looks so far away....

11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home