Thursday, July 27, 2006

Transgression Thursday 3

OK, who's annoying me this week.....let's see.....

There are ads on TV around here for a "career school"
and its massage therapy classes. "The massage industry
is booming!", they say. In the ads, attractive
young people massage other attractive young people.
Right - I know a guy who
is a massage therapist and most of his clients are old/fat/sick people.
I hope no idiots are watching these ads, thinking, "I'll get to put
my hands on hot, sexy women, and they'll PAY ME to do it!"
.....actually, I take that back - if that's what they're
thinking, they deserve the reality.

Another ad that runs around here is a flooring company that claims
"We'll beat anyone's price by 15% - OR IT'S FREE!"
Imagine the conversation:
Customer: "Lugubrious Flooring says they can do it for 20% less
than your quote."
TV Ad Floor Guy: "Um....well, I can't beat that price by 15%
without losing money....so I guess I have to give you the job for free."
Stupid.

Does the old guy HAVE to block the entire supermarket aisle
while he leisurely checks his eggs? When I was a kid, they got
away with this by talking about how they saved us all by "winning
the big one". If you're 70 today, you were 9 when World War II
ended. What's the excuse NOW?

Hey! Web site designers! Don't move the fucking cursor while I'm typing!!
Who are YOU to decide into which field *I* would like to start typing??
LET MY CURSOR GO!

Does reporting spam to your service provider actually DO anything, or is
it just a "feel good" service they provide to make you think they're on the
job????

My local rep in Congress has been targeted by MoveOn.org.
They plan to launch a "caught red-handed" campaign against him,
where they basically go to all his public appearances wearing giant
foam red hands to "remind voters whose side he's really on."
My rep has never given a damn what any of his constituents think,
and only respects the party line from Washington. I've written to
him several times on different issues and his responses have all
amounted to very politically-worded "So whats". Is he really
going to care if a bunch of people run around with red foam hands
as a way of showing he's up to no good?
If anything, it will only show his party leaders that he's doing it
THEIR way! Ugh.

This week my dentist's office "jumped the shark". I've had the same
guy for 22 years. I followed him from the old office to "his" practice.
Trouble is, in the last few years I haven't seen him. He's moved on
to the "high end restorative work" that I don't need. So I've been
fobbed off onto other dentists in his office. One of them did a root
canal on me that never felt right, from the beginning. I went back
and they told me, "Sometimes it takes awhile for these to settle
down"...."The area needs to recover from surgery"....blah blah blah.
After complaining about it for almost two years, they sent me to an
outside endontics practice. Their advice? "For about $900 we'll re-do
the procedure." I was back at "my" doctor's office yesterday and
brought the subject up again, and (yet another) dentist shrugged it
off by saying, "This procedure is effective 98% of the time....could be
that you happen to be in the 2%." I am in the process of writing a letter
to the guy who is supposed to be my dentist. I am citing this example:
"Suppose you brought your BMW into a repair shop, and when you
got it back it wasn't fixed. Then the shop owner hemmed and hawed
for a year and a half before sending you to his cousin's shop across the
road....and the second shop offered to re-do the repair for slightly
more than you paid the first one. Would that be OK? How would
you handle it?"

What's this crap about credit card companies tacking on an extra fee
now for international orders? I order stuff online from the UK, Germany
and France a lot. Now they're suddenly charging an extra fee for the transactions.
This is probably something my congressman voted for, I'll bet. Get out
the red foam hands, damn it!!!

And the last thing I'll bitch about today is that it's still technically
Wednesday. I'll have to wait until midnight to post this for it to
have a Thursday date.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

An impressive list of bitches, L! Yeah, tell me about old people clogging lanes in the market, or the road, or any damn place you go here in Florida! Credit card companies, banks, insurance companies, pharaceutical compankes, HMO's and of course oil companies, have I left anybody out? They just can never get rich enough.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Webmiztris said...

"We'll beat anyone's price by 15% - OR IT'S FREE!"

We have a local car dealer around here who uses that same scheme. "If we can't beat our competitior's prices, we'll just give you the car!" AS IF!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Mr. L said...

Nooo, Bud....why, with all the "government interference", businesses these days can barely make a profit!!! :) I mean, oil companies are scraping by on $10 bil per quarter - we're going to have to help them out soon! "No Billionaire Left Behind!"...

Webmiz: Yay! Free car! I'm comin' down that way right away!!

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home